Service Desk Technician (Vista CA, USA)
Pixit Media and our sister company Arcastream are the premier providers of Software Defined Storage in the Media & Entertainment and Super-Computing arenas. Our reputation for world-class support is second to none.
As part of a growing Support team located in the US, UK and Germany, our Service Desk Technicians are the first point of contact for customers seeking technical support over the phone or email and are responsible for providing accurate and useful technical assistance in order to ensure maximum system availability and usability. You will answer queries on technical issues and offer advice to solve them. Our customers operate in a 24×7 environment and therefore, so does our support.
We have an opening for an excellent Service Desk Technician based in our Vista CA office, reporting in to our VP Global Support. You must have good technical knowledge and the ability to communicate effectively to understand the problem and explain its solution. You must also be customer-oriented and patient in order to efficiently overcome clients’ challenges in what are often high-pressured environments. The goal is to create enduring value for our clients that will help preserve the company’s reputation and business.
- Serve as the first point of contact for customers seeking technical assistance over the phone or email
- Perform remote troubleshooting through diagnostic techniques and pertinent questions in order to determine the best solution based on the issue and details provided by customers
- Walk the customer through the problem-solving process
- Direct unresolved issues to the next level of support personnel
- Record events/issues/problems and their resolution in our Ticketing system. Update Confluence or other areas to share learned knowledge
- Follow-up and update customer status and information. Ensure tickets are updated and the customers informed with any progress
- Relay feedback or suggestions by customers to the appropriate internal team. Identify and suggest possible improvements on our products and/or procedures
- Perform new software installations, assist with hardware installs and assist with upgrades of existing platforms
- Coordinate hardware incidents between our customers and their hardware vendors
- Participate in the creation, development and implementation of workflows that support a wide variety of customers and assists in creation of documentation that describes the functions of each system and/or workflow component
- Assists in the roll-out of hardware and software platform upgrades.
- Demonstrate basic understanding of, and assist in, operating systems and build processes. Demonstrate basic understanding of scripting and automation techniques
- Assists in the capture and documentation of system performance and behavioral data, recommending upgrades where applicable
- Monitors, documents and communicates progress of assigned projects.
- Analysis and Problem Solving/Decision Making Skills
- Identifies and escalates technical issues that put deadlines, projects or system availability at risk
- Escalates issues as necessary
- Ensures policy compliance
- Receives guidance from management and Level2/Level3 groups
Communication / Interaction
- Assignments may include relatively complex processes or initiatives
- Work is subject to close supervision
- Errors may result in system outages, delays or require the application of additional resources
- Maintains customer and vendor relationships
Knowledge / Skills / Experience
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of various flavors of Linux and Samba configuration (modules, parameters, Active Directory Integration)
- Familiarity with IBM Spectrum Scale and/or Media Applications is a plus
- Understanding of application/transport protocols (like HTTP/SSL/FTP/SMB/TCP), network connectivity in general and the ability to troubleshoot and perform RCA at various layers
- Ability to program/script in multiple languages (Python/Bash preferred)
- Based at our Vista CA office
- Out of Hours support required – you will be a part of a rotating nights/weekends on-call group
- Must be able to work in climate-controlled Data Centers and equipment rooms
- Construction and working production sites
- Must be able to lift PC and server chassis
- Must be flexible with work hours including an on-call rotation
- Some travel to training courses, customer sites and conventions/trade shows